Ready to get started on your own site? First, you must sign up with a host. There are tons of free hosts to choose from. A quick search on Google or AltaVista will turn up thousands, if not millions, of free hosting services.
of course, there are things to keep in mind when choosing your host!
- Banner ads - many hosting services insert banner advertisements into your code, leaving you with a page that advertises goodnes-knows-what.
- Pop-ups - many people hate these more than banners - when you visit a page whose host uses pop-up ads, one or more small windows will open with ads in them.
- Space limitations - Be sure to check how much space you will be getting before you sign up. A normal site is usually around 8Mb, but if you put a lot of pictures, you may need more space.
Check out some of the links below and talk with your teacher before you sign up for a hosting service. If you hunt around a little, you can find web hosting with no ads at all.
- FreeWebspace.net - a comparative listing of different hosting companies
- Drak.net - no banner ads, but you need to apply for space.
Most, if not all, hosts require you to have an email address to sign up. You may use your parents' address if they filled it in on the Parental Permission form, or you can sign up with a free email account at Yahoo!.